Thursday, July 30, 2009

Alaska, Day 5

Today the sun finally came out, and I felt that I could appreciate the beauty even more with a blue sky overhead.  We kayaked around Yukon Island, in the Kachemak Bay.  About halfway around was easy and laid-back, and the other half was against the wind and waves.  A good upper body and core workout to balance out all the leg work we've done this week!

There were often otter swimming close to us.  I think there's one in this picture, out in front of the boat, but I can't see it in the small version.  I think they are the cutest, most playful creatures.  They have always been one of my favorites to watch at the zoo, so it was really special for me to see them in the wild.

Elephant Rock:


Lots of jellyfish (or sea jellies), as well:





When we arrived back at the hotel, I got to watch this otter eat a crab:

This is our entire group.  All wonderful people, with so many different talents and experiences, came together to form a very cohesive, compatible group.  I'm really starting to miss my kids, but I'm also sad that tomorrow is our last day in Alaska.  

No comments:

Post a Comment