Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Alaska, Day 4

Today I biked 22 miles over rolling hills to Homer.  John opted for the 32 mile route.  At one point, it was raining so hard that my glasses were soaked and I could see better without them.  Other than that, it was nice.  I'm definitely not a cyclist.  This was the longest I've been on a bike in my entire life.  I think those of you that do this for fun are crazy.  But, all that said, it was a great workout and I had a good time.  We definitely earned the drinks we're having this evening.

John saw this moose about halfway through the ride:


(I uploaded the pictures out of order and don't know how to repair that.)  This is a winery where we made a brief stop about 7 miles before our final destination.  It was called Bear Creek Winery and all their wines are made from fruits other than grapes.  We tasted quite a few, and they are much better than you might expect for non-grape wines.  The rhubarb was my favorite - tastes like a Riesling.

This is the beach by the campground where we began our ride (Anchor Point).


This is the kind of spread they've presented us with every time we've packed lunches.

This is the top of the hill we came in on (the part John biked and I opted out of) and our first glimpse of Homer.  That's the Homer Spit stretching out into the water.  I think with a name like Homer, I expected something homely, but this is absolutely gorgeous!

This is the Grewingk Glacier across the Kachemak Bay from Homer.

And amidst all the natural beauty, there were some things that just made me laugh.  I think somebody lives here.  I could see bookshelves full of books in the upper cabin.  And he had a fake castle turret in his "front yard":


No comments:

Post a Comment