Mostly, the photos will speak for themselves today. This is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. We walked out of our hotel and next door to the cable car, which took us up to Grütschalp. From there we hiked up a LOT more to the Lobhornhütte and then around a different path back down, making a big loop. We were hiking for 4 and a half hours, but the maps didn't have distances, so it's hard to guess how far we hiked. It felt like 20 miles 😉, but we loved every second of it.



This sign said 2.25 hours to our destination. John and I are pretty fit and active, and we were moving at a decent pace, so we thought for sure we'd beat the posted time, but...um...no; it took us 2.5 to get up there! A bit humbling. I guess the average Swisshiker is fitter than the average American.

A Swiss "cairn". There were no piles of rocks, but these Swiss flag colors were painted on rocks and trees as trail markers.




















This pointy rock formation is what they call the Lobhörner:

Finally arriving at the Lobhornhütte:


One of the things I love about hiking in the Alps is being able to get a beer and hearty food at the top of a mountain!


On the way down, I stopped to soak my feet and knees in the cold brook, and John took a little nap.





Stunning, indeed!
ReplyDelete