John and the kids found a garter snake in the yard one day a week or so ago and decided to keep it as a pet (while I was out - that will teach me to leave the house!).
They both escaped this evening through a hole that we were aware of but thought we had covered adequately. I sent the kids upstairs to bathe, and they yelled down, "Both snakes are gone!" I thought they were just teasing me, and I ignored them for a while. But after Campbell got out of the shower, he told me again, so I went to check, and sure enough, they were not there. As Helene got out of the bath, wrapped in her towel, and headed into her mostly dark room, she called out, "I found one!" Smaug was crawling out from under her bed. I think that would have freaked me out. She handled it so calmly and bravely, though. As I headed downstairs for duct tape (with which to better seal the hole), I found Sam on the rug in the entryway. All snakes accounted for now. And hole closed. Hopefully that will hold them.
No comments:
Post a Comment