Monday, August 18, 2008

Confessions of a Wannabe Repairwoman

I have to admit that my dishwasher repair job turned out not to be a permanent fix. After several loads, it is collecting water in the tub again. I checked the hose, and it seems to be clear. I took off the drain basket and all those filters again, and they are clear. Actually, they look great! I'm so glad I cleaned them, even if that wasn't the problem. And that black gunky hole was gray after I cleaned it out by hand. This is the first time I had seen it since running vinegar through the dishwasher, and now it's white! So, that's good. But I still don't know what the actual problem is. I looked up the manual online - totally unhelpful. It tells how to load the dishwasher and where to put the soap but has no drawings of the tub or anything that would help me out. I checked out a GE Dishwasher repair book from the library. It was published in 1985, but I thought it might be somewhat helpful. Well, it keeps referring to pre-1957 models and post-1957 models. I think mine is slightly different from the 1958 models!

I will decide at a later date whether to keep trying it on my own or call a plumber. For the time being, John and I have decided to hand wash. We've been reading a book on renewable energy, and we're trying to make our home more energy efficient. So, since hand washing uses no electricity and less water than a dishwasher, we're going to try it for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment