Sunday, March 30, 2008

Natural Bridge Caverns

Most Texans have at least seen the signs for Natural Bridge Caverns on your way to San Antonio. Have any of you actually stopped? We did, and Campbell told us at least 10 times during the tour, "This is so cool!" so I'm glad we went.

See the natural stone bridge in this picture? The entrance to the cave is below the bridge (for which the caverns are named). The bridge was part of what was once the roof, but most of it collapsed long ago.


These are ribbons, a form of stalactite hanging from the ceiling.


This room is called Sherwood Forest. To give you some idea of scale, the broomstick formations on the left (even the shortest ones) are all taller than full-grown people.


This area was called "Valley of the Fallen Lords". The little "lords" in the picture are small - less than 2 feet high. They made me think of large chess pieces.


I don't know what this was. I just liked the layers and colors in it - different from the monochromatic formations everywhere else in the cave.


The temperature in the caverns is 70 degrees year-round, with 99% humidity. The CO2 level is rather high. I was having a bit of trouble breathing towards the middle of the tour. The spaces were all very large, but I felt claustrophobic because of the humidity and excess CO2, I guess. Other than that, it was a great adventure. And it was worth it to see Campbell get so excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment