Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kitchen Makeover

This is what the kitchen looked like when we bought the house. It's beautiful, but a little plain. The cabinets and floor are oak. The curtains I think were once black, but they've faded and now look navy.





Helene broke the lamp/chandelier in the above picture by swinging a broomstick around. So we replaced it out of necessity. Then I replaced the curtain rods because they were dark wrought iron and I wanted brushed silver to match the cabinet knobs and drawer pulls that had been there all along, as well as the new chandelier. I also decided that the kitchen could use a little more color. Originally, I was thinking of painting the cabinets white because there's so much oak in the kitchen, that it all looked rather dull. But I started by painting the walls red (crimson bog), and now I think I might be okay with the color of the cabinets. I'd be happy to have opinions from any of you, though. Let me know what you think about painting the cabinets versus leaving them as is. I will put some kind of window treatment on the new silver rods, but I haven't gotten around to figuring that out yet. I'd be happy to take advice on that, as well.


I'm happy with the red walls. It adds a bit of pizazz to the room. You only see the breakfast room in the pictures because that's all I've painted so far. I should quit blogging and get back to painting the rest of the walls, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. I think that the red walls look great. We have red in our dining room. With the red walls I think the cabinets can stay. Painting cabinets is a lot of work and hard to do right (so I hear). I also hear that the paint gets chipped and dinged off of cabinets fairly easily. That being said, we will probably paint ours at some point rather than replace but they are almost 40 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good Ashley! I vote ya keep the oak, but you already knew that. :)

    ReplyDelete