I've done some thinking lately about what makes a tradition. More specifically, what, in a child's mind, constitutes a tradition. Helene (aged 9) was very upset this winter when she found out we were going to spend Christmas at our new cabin in the mountains, instead of at our home. I can understand that. She had spent the last 5 Christmases, at least (pretty much all she can remember), waking up in her own bed Christmas morning. (I understand, but tough cookies . . . we are starting a new tradition. Christmas at the cabin was so peaceful and perfect!)
On March 14 (3.14), it was brought to my attention on Facebook that it was Pi Day. The previous year, I had thought about this ahead of time and made a big deal of it. We had pies for dinner in celebration. This year, I would have forgotten about it, if it were not for FB. So, I remembered in time to go to the grocery store and get ingredients and make pies (Chicken Pot Pie for dinner and Cherry Pie for dessert).
If I had not overheard Helene talking on the phone to a grandparent that evening (while the pot pie was already in the oven), though, I would have forgotten the most important part. I heard this:
"Yes, and every year, on Pi Day, my mom makes pies . . . "
(Really? I did this once, and that is "every year"??)
"...and it's our tradition to put a Pi symbol on the top of the pie."
(Oh, $#!%, the pi symbol! Quick . . . what do I have? Oh, these green beans will work nicely...)
So, apparently, it only takes once to make a tradition. Or maybe I've done this more than once, and I just don't remember because it wasn't a big deal to me. I have no idea. I think it's sweet that it's a tradition in my daughter's eyes. I'll try to remember next year and be a little more prepared!
Quick, while it is fresh on your memory put a reminder on your phone for 3/12 to buy ingredients for the pie to be consumed on pie day!
ReplyDelete