Last night, I made a penne carbonara and included yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and oregano from our garden. We also had a salad, including tomatoes and cucumber from the garden.
I think we'll have sweet corn ready soon. Anyone know how to tell when corn is ready to pick? We've never grown it before.
We have had such a good time with our garden that John decided to make another bed. He's been working on it this past week, whenever he's had time off. It needs a little more soil, but other than that, it's ready to go. Doesn't it look nice?! We hope to plant it soon with some fall/winter crops - lettuce, spinach, onions, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, kale. The kale seeds John got mostly for a joke because we know it's something you can grow in a winter garden, but I'm not sure that either of us have ever had it or would know what to do with it. We never grew any of these fall veggies successfully in Texas. I hope we fare better here.

The flower garden is doing well, too. It still doesn't completely camouflage the electrical boxes, but we're not really allowed to cover them up, so I'm doing the best I can to make them less obvious. I have no idea what half of the flowers in here are. I just picked things that looked pretty and were different heights because I wanted a crazy, cottage garden look. We're getting there. I do know that there's grapevine growing on the fence, hibiscus and sunflowers (not yet in bloom) in the back, hollyhocks, delphinium, lupines, columbines, lots of little poppies in the front, ... That's all I can remember right now.

My advice: skip the kale. I bought it once because I kept reading about how healthy it is. It is very bitter and chewy.
ReplyDeletei'm jealous of your bountiful garden. (and your climate for that matter!) it is so gratifying to eat foods that you've cultivated!
ReplyDeletechrys