Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Summer Stuff

I haven't figured out how to move pictures around on here easily, so since I just added this picture, it's stuck at the top of this entry, even though it belongs with the story at the bottom.  This is from the hike I did with Daddy and Bruce.

Campbell got to attend a "Science Magic" camp last week, in which the kids learned to do some magic tricks and to understand the scientific principles behind them. On the last day, they performed a magic show, and each kid got to demonstrate one trick. Campbell poured purple liquid into 3 glasses, then turned one of them blue by adding a certain powder to it and one of them pink by adding a certain liquid to it. Any of you science teachers out there know how it was done?



Helene got a haircut - first ever professional haircut. She got bangs, which I think will be wonderful, since she usually doesn't bother with clips or bows, and it's always hanging in her face. The bangs should help avoid that Cousin It look. And she got it cut short with layers, which should help with the tangles. Here she is sporting the clips Auntie Beth brought her from South Dakota and playing the pan pipes Beth gave Campbell. Thanks, Beth!!


Yesterday, the kids and I went up to Northfork and got to see lots of family! I think there were almost 30 of us gathered for dinner last night. I'm not good at remembering to take pictures of people, so maybe my dad and Grace and some of the others photographers from that night will send me some! :) Anyway, it was great to visit with everyone and a nice evening for a cookout.

Today, my dad and my cousin, Bruce, and I went on a hike along the Northfork Trailhead to the old abandoned hunting lodge of the Earl of Dunraven. It was six miles round-trip, all along a rushing stream, with wildflowers in bloom everywhere. Oh, and the butterflies - hundreds! Absolutely beautiful! And so nice to hike at an adult pace for a change.


2 comments:

  1. My guess is that there was some kind of liquid litmus tester in there (like cabbage or beets) and then he added an acid to one and a base to the other. Not sure what the substances would be but it sounds like a kind of litmus test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, Christy! I knew you'd get it. :) Yes, cabbage juice was the litmus tester. I think the substances were baking soda and vinegar (or is it ammonia?). I know they would have opposite effects, but I don't remember which is which. I'm obviously NOT a science teacher.

    ReplyDelete