Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spring Break, continued

Here is the rest of our Spring Break report. While in San Antonio, we spent a day downtown and on the Riverwalk. The kids talked us into going to the Ripley's Believe It Or Not! museum. It was everything we dreamed it would be. I can see why my dad would never pay for us to go to it when we were kids! :) But the kids loved it. Campbell's favorite books to read in bed at night are Ripley's and Guiness Book of World Records, so they had a good time.

And, of course, we visited the Alamo.




My favorite part of San Antonio . . . the Riverwalk.


We got our fill of Tex-Mex this week. I miss it while in Colorado, but it doesn't take too many meals to make up for not having had it in a while.



We planned to go to Sea World our last day in San Antonio, but we pulled up to the gates only to find out it was closed! It had been open the week before, and even that Monday, but not on Thursday, when we were there. The whole situation reminded us of that scene in Vacation, where the Griswalds pull up to Wally World and find it closed. It wasn't that bad, really. We just decided to head on back to Waco early and go to the zoo. The Cameron Park Zoo is my favorite zoo. It is small, but so well done. And I actually like the small size because you can see everything without totally wearing out the kids. Here is the monkey island with the lemur island in the background. I don't think there are any animals in this first picture, but you get an idea of the beautiful habitats that have been created for these animals.



A new exhibit at the Cameron Park Zoo is the Brazos River Country exhibit. You start at the Gulf and work your way up the Brazos River to see different creatures along the way. Here's a puma.



And some Baylor Bears.


And this is Helene's and my favorite part of that exhibit - a slide right through the otter tank. You can slide down and the otters swim all around you.








Our flight departed from D/FW, so we spent some time with Dallas friends the day before we left. We spent an entire day with John's sister and her boys, but I didn't get any pictures! I guess we were just having too much fun. We spent a few minutes with Christy, my college roommate, and her family. I only got one picture of Campbell, Helene and Katherine together. They were on the move the whole time.




Our trip to Texas was a nice, relaxed family vacation, and it was great to soak up some warmth. It has snowed three times already since we came back home! I love Colorado, but I am ready for spring.



1 comment: